Monday, June 22, 2009

The Kingdom comin' thru...........


Killarney isn’t the first spot in Ireland that springs to mind when you think of street art but recently the Kingdom’s tourist trap has been making the national headlines as the canvas for one of Ireland’s up and coming street artists. Vango told Irishstreetart.com that he first became interested in graffiti when he read an article about Banksy and discovered the stencil method. Since then he’s been obsessed with street art. The artist said “I wanted to see some of it around my town so I decided to start. I first started four months ago with the rats like Banksy and Blek Le rat and then moved onto my own bigger pieces.” Vango has of late including a sculptural element to his work and a hopes to develop a 3d graffiti portfolio.

Taken from Irish Street Art





Local reaction was pretty much what you'd expect in this county;

Article from The Kingdom
Article from The Irish Independent


Nice work there from Mr. Vango.........you'd have to laugh at the local 'outrage', in fairness; I mean, God forbid Killarney would dare to offer tourists anything other than Aran sweaters, shillelleaghs and over-priced ice cream! Long may it last I say, and there's plenty of blank walls out my way if you have the time, Sir.

Vango's Flickr

http://irishstreetart.com/




No comments:

Post a Comment